Roulette is the quintessential casino game. Unlike many other card games, it relies primarily on luck. And it could be argued that the house always has the edge in Roulette. But that’s part of what makes winning at Roulette so satisfying. Read on to learn more about the rules of the game and some strategies you can use when you play Roulette online.
How to play Classic Roulette
The object of Roulette is simple. You have to predict which number the ball will land on after it has been thrown onto the spinning wheel. On the Roulette table you’ll find the numbers 1-36. You also have the option of betting on other factors such as:
- 1st 12/2nd 12/3rd 12
These options are split into ‘inside bets’ and ‘outside bets’. An inside bet is the term applied to bets on specific numbers. The generally have higher paying odds and you can make a range of ‘inside bets’ including:
- Straight Up: betting on one number
- Two-number Split: betting on two numbers
- Street Bet: betting on three numbers
- Square bet: betting on four numbers
- Five numbers: betting on five numbers
- Line bet: betting on six numbers
- Dozen bet: betting on the first, middle or last twelve numbers
By contrast, outside bets do not involve specific numbers and offer lower odds . They include:
- Even/Odd: betting on whether the number is odd or even
- High/Low: betting the first or last 18 numbers
- Red/black: betting on the color of the number
Colored chips are used to distinguish players from each other and you can place your chips anywhere you like. Once all bets are placed, the dealer starts spinning the wheel. You will not be able to place any more bets once the dealer has halted betting. The dealer then releases the ball and everyone waits to see where it lands.
When the ball has finally settled, the dealer removes all the losing chips and pays out the winners. You can then start betting on the next spin of the wheel.
Tips for playing Classic Roulette
Unfortunately, it’s almost impossible to develop a strategy for playing Classic Roulette. The results of each spin are so random that there’s no way to predict the outcome. But here are some tips to help you play sensibly:
- Study the odds and payouts: Beginners often place their chips randomly on the board in the hopes of striking it lucky. But seasoned players spend their time learning the odds and payouts of each bet they make. While it won’t help you predict the results of a game any more accurately, it will help you to make the most of the money you’re playing with.
- Stick to a budget: Never risk more than you can afford to lose and know what your limits are. Don’t be afraid to walk away from the table when you come to the end of your budget. This strategy will prevent a lot of heartache.
- Change your bet with every spin: Don’t play the same number in the hopes that it will eventually come up. This is the gambler’s fallacy, the idea that if something haven’t happened for a while; it’s more likely to happen in the future.
- Hold on to your winnings: Don’t be tempted to use your winnings so you can keep playing. Remember that you need to stick to a budget, so rather put your winnings aside and that way, when you’ve come to the end of your budget for the night, you’ll still walk away a winner.
- Play for fun: Roulette is a tough game, so don’t focus too much on using it to make extra money. Live in the moment and enjoy it for what it is, a thrilling casino table game that’s great fun to play.